Last Update: July 30, 2020
Jump to section:
- How we collect information about you
- How we protect and store personal information
- How we use the personal information we collect
- How we share personal information with other FamilyPay users
- How we share personal information with other parties
- How you can restrict FamilyPay from sharing your personal information
- How you can access or change your personal information
- How you can contact us about privacy questions
1. How we collect information about you
When you visit the FamilyPay.com website or use FamilyPay Services, we collect information sent to us by your computer, mobile phone or other access device. The information sent to us includes data on the pages you access, your computer IP address, device identifiers, the type of operating system you’re using, your location, mobile network information, standard web log data and other information. Web log data includes the browser type you’re using and traffic to and from our site. When you visit the FamilyPay.com website or use FamilyPay Services, we also collect information about your transactions and your activities.
In addition, if you open a FamilyPay account or use FamilyPay Services, we may collect the following types of information:
- Contact information, such as your name, address, phone, email and other similar information.
- Financial information, such as the full bank account numbers and/or credit card numbers that you link to your FamilyPay account or give us when you use FamilyPay Services.
- Detailed personal information such as your date of birth or social security number.
We may also obtain information about you from third parties such as credit bureaus and identity verification services.
In order to help protect you from fraud and misuse of your personal information, we may collect information about your use and interaction with our website or FamilyPay Services. For example, we may evaluate your computer, mobile phone or other access device to identify any malicious software or activity.
We may also collect additional information from or about you in other ways, such as through contact with our customer support team, results when you respond to a survey and from interactions with members of the FamilyPay, LLC corporate family or other companies.
When you access our website or use FamilyPay Services, we (including companies we work with) may place small data files on your computer or other device. These data files may be cookies, pixel tags, "Flash cookies" or other local storage provided by your browser or associated applications ("Cookies"). We use these technologies to: recognize you as a customer; customize FamilyPay Services, content, and advertising; measure promotional effectiveness; help ensure that your account security is not compromised; mitigate risk and prevent fraud; and to promote trust and safety across our sites and FamilyPay Services.
We use both session and persistent Cookies. Session Cookies expire and no longer have any effect when you log out of your account or close your browser. Persistent Cookies remain on your device until you erase them or they expire.
We encode our Cookies so that we can interpret the information stored in them. You are free to decline our Cookies if your browser or browser add-on permits, but doing so may interfere with your use of our website and FamilyPay Services. Refer to the help section of your browser, browser extensions, or installed applications for instructions on blocking, deleting, or disabling Cookies.
3. How we protect and store personal information
Throughout this policy, we use the term "personal information" to describe information that can be associated with a specific person and can be used to identify that person. We do not consider personal information to include information that has been made anonymous so that it does not identify a specific user.
We store and process your personal information on our computers in the US and elsewhere in the world where our facilities are located. We protect your information using physical, technical, and administrative security measures to reduce the risks of loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure and alteration. Some of the safeguards we use are firewalls and data encryption, physical access controls to our data centers, and information access authorization controls.
4. How we use the personal information we collect
Our primary purpose in collecting personal information is to provide you with a secure, smooth, efficient, and customized experience. We may use your personal information to:
- provide FamilyPay Services and customer support;
- facilitate transactions and send notices about your transactions;
- resolve disputes, collect fees, and troubleshoot problems;
- prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities, and enforce our User Agreement;
- customize, measure, and improve FamilyPay Services and the content, layout, and operation of our websites and applications;
- deliver targeted marketing, service update notices, and promotional offers based on your communication preferences;
- contact you at any telephone number, by placing a voice call or through text (SMS) or email messaging, as authorized by our User Agreement.
- compare information for accuracy and verify it with third parties
We do not sell or rent your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent. We may combine your information with information we collect from other companies and use it to improve and personalize FamilyPay Services, content, and advertising. If you do not wish to receive marketing communications from us or participate in our ad-customization programs, simply indicate your preference by logging into your account and going to the Notification section under the Settings tab and updating your preferences, or by following the directions that may be provided within the communication or advertisement.
We respect your communication preferences. If you no longer wish to receive notifications via our application, you can adjust your preferences by visiting the settings page of the application.
We may call or text message (SMS) you at a mobile phone number that you have provided to us. You can indicate your contact preferences by logging into your account and adjusting your preferences in your Account Information Settings or by following the directions provided within the communication.
6. How we share personal information with other FamilyPay users
To facilitate your payments through Familipay, we may share some of your personal information with the person or company that you are paying or that is paying you. Your contact information, date of sign-up, the number of payments you have received from verified FamilyPay users, and whether you have verified control of a bank account are provided to other FamilyPay users with whom who you transact through FamilyPay. In addition, this and other information may also be shared with third parties when you use these third parties to access FamilyPay Services. Unless you have agreed to it, these third parties are not allowed to use this information for any purpose other than to enable FamilyPay Services.
We work with third parties, including merchants, to enable them to accept from you using FamilyPay. In doing so, a third party may share information about you with us, such as your email address or mobile phone number, to inform you that a payment has been sent to you or when you attempt to pay a merchant or third party. We use this information to confirm that you are a FamilyPay customer and that FamilyPay as a form of payment can be enabled, or to send you notification of payment status. Also, if you request that we validate your status as a FamilyPay customer with a third party, we will do so.
Please note that users you pay support to e.g. State Disbursement Units, have their own privacy policies, and although FamilyPay’s user agreement does not allow the other transacting party to use this information for anything other than providing FamilyPay Services, FamilyPay is not responsible for their actions, including their information protection practices.
Regardless, we will not disclose your credit card number or bank account number to anyone you have paid or who has paid you using FamilyPay, or with the third parties that offer or use FamilyPay Services, except with your express permission or if we are required to do so to comply with credit card rules, a subpoena, or other legal process.
7. How we share personal information with other parties
We may share your personal information with:
- Service providers under contract who help with our business operations such as fraud prevention, bill collection, marketing and technology services. Our contracts dictate that these service providers only use your information in connection with the services they perform for us and not for their own benefit.
- Credit bureaus and collection agencies to report account information, as permitted by law.
- Law enforcement, government officials, or other third parties pursuant to a subpoena, court order, or other legal process or requirement applicable to FamilyPay or one of its affiliates; when we need to do so to comply with law or credit card rules; or when we believe, in our sole discretion, that the disclosure of personal information is necessary to prevent physical harm or financial loss, to report suspected illegal activity or to investigate violations of our User Agreement.
- Other third parties with your consent or direction to do so.
FamilyPay will not sell or rent any of your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes and only shares your personal information with third parties as described in this policy.
8. How you can restrict FamilyPay from sharing your personal information
FamilyPay maintains your preferences for use and sharing of information, including how we contact you. Some federal and state laws allow you to restrict the sharing of your personal information in certain instances. FamilyPay does not share your personal information with third parties for their marketing purposes unless you have given your explicit consent.
9. How you can access or change your personal information
You can review and edit your personal information at any time by logging in to your account and reviewing your account settings and profile. You can also close your account through the FamilyPay website. If you close your FamilyPay account, we will mark your account in our database as "Closed," but may retain personal information from your account to collect any fees owed, resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, assist with any investigations, prevent fraud, enforce our User Agreement, or take other actions as required or permitted by law.
10. How you can contact us about privacy questions
If you have questions or concerns regarding this policy, you should contact us by using this form or writing to us at FamilyPay, Attn: Privacy Department,. FamilyPay maintains offices at 522 Route 18, Suite 5, East Brunswick, New Jersey 08816. Copyright © FamilyPay 2021